Thursday, July 24, 2008

Album Review: Black Kids - Partie Traumatic


I'm gonna catch heat from all the hip hop heads out there but more than any other album this summer, I've been waiting for Partie Traumatic from Florida-based group, Black Kids. Black Kids are as Indie-pop as it comes. Rolling Stone named Black Kids the Artists To Watch in 2008 and I couldn't agree more, especially because of their raw talent. When I stumbled across their Wizard of Ahhhs EP, I was pleasantly surprised that there was still music like this being made: Kind of 80's-ish with a European influence. Awesome. Their songs are catchy and have little substance, but I'm still loving the album. It features all four of the songs from their Wizard of Ahhhs EP except they've been re-recorded and the quality is much better. Going in to the album, my favorite song was I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How to Dance With You. But after first listen, the title track takes the cake for best joint on the album. The new version of ...Boyfriend is definitely up there along with Hit the Heartbreaks and Listen to Your Body Tonight. I would definitely say give Black Kids a listen if you're looking for something new and different.

Solid album, just a little short. Altogether, it's worth about 4 a.samps.

Check out the video for I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How to Dance With You. It's mad different, but still hot.



I had to include Partie Traumatic too.

No comments: